For any press or media requests please use our contact form or phone us on 0151 709 5942 option 4
Press Release 15 March 2023
Collinge & Co. A new name for a new era featuring a new look flagship salon – all built on a long tradition of top flight hairdressing.
A leading and long-standing Liverpool and North West business has unveiled a trio of changes designed to make a company with a proud past very much fit for the future.
Andrew Collinge, the hairdressing group with five salons: Castle Street, Liverpool; Bold Street, Liverpool; Heswall, Wirral; Ormskirk, Lancashire; Selfridges Trafford Centre, Manchester, is now known as Collinge & Co. The training division, which provides hairdressing apprenticeships to salons throughout the North West, is now called Collinge & Co Training.
With the new name comes a striking new brand identity which celebrates the Collinge & Co teams who maintain and enhance the company’s reputation for first class hairdressing, customer care and training, as well as all the clients who make the business possible.
The genesis of Collinge & Co dates back to 1940 when Wilfred and Molly Collinge opened a hairdressing salon and barbers called Collinge’s on Muirhead Avenue in West Derby, Liverpool.
14 years later, their son Peter started his own business on Church Street, a salon in which he could delight clients with the skills and artistry which had made him one of Britain’s top competition hairdressers.
In 1985 the family business grew when Andrew and Liz Collinge opened their own salon in Heswall, Wirral. Andrew had trained at top London hairdressers, Michaeljohn, and would go on to be twice named British Hairdresser of the Year, while Liz was a leading make-up artist. Together they became familiar faces on ITV’s This Morning when it was broadcast from Liverpool’s Albert Dock, giving lucky viewers great makeovers on a weekly basis. As Andrew’s profile grew in the 1990s, the salons were renamed Andrew Collinge.
The company today is now managed by Andrew & Liz’s son, Charlie.
Says Charlie “We’re really excited to start this new chapter as Collinge & Co. We’ve always recognised the important contributions our employees have made to the company and the time feels right for them to also be represented within an inclusive name.
We have changed name and evolved before, but through all the years the teams have always cared about delivering amazing customer service and hairdressing artistry.”
As part of the rebrand, the company’s flagship salon on Castle Street has undergone a complete and exciting revamp. Andrew says, “We have always taken great pride in creating beautiful salons for our clients to visit and for our hairdressing teams to enjoy working in.
The new look Collinge & Co flagship salon is a great success in achieving everything we stand for. The decor is warm and inviting, it includes two private salons and with its use of technology, it’s very much a salon of our time.”
Much thought went into the salon concept. Says Liz Collinge, “As a make-up artist, I’ve always enjoyed working with the hairdressing team to create beautiful imagery. The new salon design provides exciting opportunities, with its photogenic backdrops and video wall, we can photograph, film and showcase our creative work, providing content for our website and social platforms.”
The future also means digital, and Collinge & Co has enhanced its online offer in order to seamlessly interact with customers. Charlie Collinge says, “We have recently invested in our platforms so that our clients have more choice than ever in communicating with us, whether it is over the phone, through social media, via SMS or making appointments online. Our new website is the starting point for all these conversations, welcoming, friendly and full of news and inspiration.”
A final word on the dawn of this new era from Andrew, “I’m delighted with the changes we are making. With the excellent teams we have, under the direction of Charlie, Collinge & Co has a very bright future”.
Notes to Editors
- 1940: Wilfred and Molly Collinge open Collinge’s on Muirhead Avenue, West Derby, Liverpool.
- 1954: The first Peter Collinge salon opens on the 4th floor of Hepworth Chambers, Church Street, Liverpool. Throughout the 60s and 70s a chain of Peter Collinge salons appeared on high streets in the North West.
- 1974: The Peter Collinge Hair Study Centre is founded.
- 1985: The first Andrew Collinge salon opens in Heswall, Wirral.
- 1988: Andrew and Liz appear on the first week of ITV’s new daytime TV show This Morning as hair and makeup presenters. They stayed with the show until 1997.
- 1990: Peter Collinge salons are renamed Andrew Collinge.
- 1993 & 1997: Andrew Collinge wins British Hairdresser of the year.
- 1993: Andrew Collinge Salon Solution hair care products are launched in Boots.
- 2000: Andrew styles the hair of Sophie Rhys-Jones on the occasion of her marriage to HRH Price Edward at St Georges Chapel, Windsor
- 2008: Andrew and Liz are invited by Autumn Kelly to look after her hair and makeup on the occasion of her marriage to Peter Philips, Queen Elizabeth II’s eldest grandson
- 2009: Andrew Collinge Graduates opens on Bold Street
- 2010: Andrew Collinge Training is awarded Beacon Status from Ofsted.
- 2015: Charlie Collinge joins as Managing Director.
- 2016: Collinge & Co hair care products launched.
- 2017: Alison Gibson joins as Apprenticeships Director
- 2018: Andrew Collinge Hairdressing is awarded a Princess Royal Training Award
- 2022: Andrew Collinge Hairdressing is named in the Top 50 SME Apprentice Employers. The highest ranked hairdressing company and top placed SME in the North West.
- 2023: The company is renamed Collinge & Co.